Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Westwell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 28 Feb 2010 21:30

Hello, is there anyone with access to emigration records on ancestry that can obtain the details of the one Joseph Westwell on the New York passenger list 1820-1957. The Joseph Westwell I am seeking was born in 1897 in Chorlton, Manchester. I have located him on the 1901 census and what is almost certainly him at a boarding school on the 1911 census, but beyond that?.......nothing - no obvious marriage and no clear and obvious death??? The only thing I can now turn to, is that he left the UK and never came back.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 28 Feb 2010 21:38

This one looks probable:
Passenger lists leaving UK 1890-1960

Name: Joe WESTWELL
Date of departure: 30 December 1924
Port of departure: London
Destination port: Melbourne
Destination country: Australia

Date of Birth: 1897 (calculated from age)
Marital Status:
Sex: Male
Notes:
Passenger recorded on: Page 17 of 22
Ship: ESPERANCE BAY
Official Number:
Master's name: R Mackenzie
Steamship Line: Australian Commonwealth Line
Where bound: Australia
Square feet:
Registered tonnage: 13850
Passengers on voyage: 738
143 Tipping Street Ardwick Manchester Salesman going to Melbourne

Maureen

Paul

Paul Report 28 Feb 2010 21:45

Maureen, you are a true star. I'm as sure as anyione could be that the Joe Westwell you found is the one I'm looking for. He was actually christened 'Joe', but all other references seem to call him Joseph. Additionally, Tipping Street addresses in Ardwick have 'surfaced twice before while researching this family. Thank Maureen!!

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 28 Feb 2010 21:53

You're welcome,Paul! I just hope someone can catch a glimpse of him at a later date.

Maureen

Paul

Paul Report 28 Feb 2010 22:00

Yeah, anything at a later date would be good Maureen. I s'pose I'll have to wait for the Australian experts to come on line and hopefully, give me the benefit of their knowledge on where to look with regard to what happened to him.... a marriage or death record maybe. I've looked already on the Australian National Archives website, but there's nothing there.

Graham

Graham Report 28 Feb 2010 22:49

there is a Joseph T Westwell in the NSW BDM

382/1931 WESTWELL JOSEPH T (M) WOODGATE NORA G SYDNEY

but as his destination was Melbourne we should wait untill checks are done in Victoria! :)
Graham

Edited
I have done a check of the Victorian indexes, No sign of Joe or Joseph.
Graham

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 28 Feb 2010 23:47

Hi, there is a death in the N.S.W BDM'S for a Joseph Thomas Westwell
number 58854/1972 aged 74 died in Sydney
if he is the same person who married Nora Grace Woodgate, her death is there also.
33300/1960 at Hurstville .

kind regards, Lorraine in sunny Mackay Qld.
but it's not so sunny today...